Michael Maggiano, Esq.
Michael Maggiano is a founder and senior partner of Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi, Trial Attorneys. For over 35 years he has specialized in personal injury litigation with a focus on Construction Accidents as well as Medical Negligence.
He is widely acknowledged by his peers as one of the top trial lawyers in the New York/New Jersey Metropolitan area. Rival attorneys say Maggiano consistently displays a depth of knowledge and understanding of medical and complex legal issues that makes him an effective force in any courtroom. He has tried cases throughout the NY/NJ Metro area as well as in various states of the United States.
The greatest reward for a trial lawyer is to be able to advance the law and also make a positive difference in someone’s life.
Known for his thoroughness and exacting approach, Maggiano has achieved a string of seven and eight-figure verdicts and settlements for clients, some of them survivors of those who’d given their lives for someone’s negligence. Maggiano and partner, Christopher DiGirolamo were co-counsel with the Plaintiffs’ Trial Team in the In Re Tropicana Garage Collapse Litigation that brought a $101,000,000.00 recovery to the workers and families of workers injured and killed in one of the nation’s largest construction disasters.
Mr. Maggiano is a Certified Civil Trial Attorney by the Supreme Court of New Jersey and the National Board of Trial Advocacy. He is a Fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers and an Advocate Member of the American Board of Trial Advocates. He is a Past President of the New Jersey Association for Justice and the Melvin M. Belli Society which is a highly select society of trial lawyers and barristers with notable members throughout the world. He was a 2004 recipient of the Trial Bar Award. He is the 2013 recipient of the New Jersey Bar Foundation Award for Excellence in Continuing Legal Education as a result of the many legal educational programs he has presented to trial lawyers over decades. He has testified before the New Jersey Senate and Assembly on legal issues impacting the rights of citizens.
He has been selected to the 2013 Super Lawyers New Jersey Top 100 List. This top list features only the best of the best attorneys in New Jersey.
He is a sought after lecturer and speaker to bar groups on Trial Diplomacy and Trial Evidence. Martindale Hubbell, the oldest and most respected lawyer rating company in the country, has consistently given its highest ratings in ability and ethics to Mr. Maggiano. He has been listed in Best Lawyers in America for 12 years in a row. The firm of Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi, P.C. have garnered a Tier 1 Rating by U.S. News and Newsweek as one of the top personal injury firms in New Jersey. Fitted with the latest in technology for trial work in the internet/digital age and the capability of handling civil trial work throughout the United States, the MDL firm is frequently contacted by other lawyers and firms to take over the handling of complex litigation and trials. Once they take on a case, they will prepare it to the hilt.
- …Fellow American College of Trial Lawyers – Membership by nomination and election is reserved to only the top 1% of trial lawyers in the country.
- …is one of only 1,450 certified as a Civil Trial Attorney by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- …for well over a decade, he has been named as one of the Best Lawyers in America by an annual national poll of his peers.
- …was named one of New York Monthly Magazine’s Best Lawyers in the New York Area and one of New Jersey Monthly Magazine’s Top 100 Lawyers in New Jersey.
- …listed by U.S. News & World Reports, Newsweek, New York Magazine and New Jersey Monthly as one of the Top Personal Injury Trial Lawyers in the New York /New Jersey Metro Area.
- …was the recipient of the annual Trial Bar Award from the Trial Attorneys of New Jersey in 2004.
- …has been named one of the preeminent Lawyers in America by Martindale-Hubbell.
- …is a member of the Million Dollar Forum, membership to which is limited to attorneys who have won million and multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements. Fewer than 1% of U.S. lawyers are members.
- …was named as one of the Top Trial Lawyers in Personal Injury Litigation in a poll published by New Jersey Monthly Magazine in which he was named as one of New Jersey’s Super Lawyers.
- …is one of only 50 attorneys certified by the National Board of Trial Advocacy in New Jersey.
- …holds the highest rating as an attorney (AV) from Martindale-Hubbell, the oldest nationally recognized legal reference company in the country. This rating signifies that the lawyer has reached the heights of professional excellence and is recognized for the highest levels of skill and integrity by the bench and bar.
- …served as president of the Association of Trial Lawyers of America in New Jersey.
- …was named one of the 10 Leaders In Personal Injury Litigation and one of the 10 Leaders in Civil Litigation in Northern New Jersey.
- …has secured dozens of verdicts and settlements over $1,000,000 in both New York and New Jersey
- …honored by Chicago Kent College of Law as on of its outstanding Alumni in its 125th year Gala in Chicago, November 2013
- …recipient of the coveted Alfred C. Clapp Award for Excellence in Continuing Legal Education for providing hundreds of legal educational programs attended by thousands of lawyers over the past three decades.
IIT-Chicago Kent College of Law
- Juris Doctor with Honors, 1974
- Class Rank: 17 in class of 160
Fairleigh Dickenson University
- Bachelor of Science Economics, 1970
Licensed to practice law before all State and Federal Courts in New Jersey and New York. Licensed to practice law before the Supreme Court of the United States Certified as a civil trial attorney by the Supreme Court of New Jersey and the National Board of Trial Advocacy.
Professional Organizations and Activities
- American College of Trial Lawyers - Fellow
- New Jersey Association for Justice – Past President
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America, Leadership Forum
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America – New Jersey, member
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America – Political Action Committee (Past Treasurer for the New Jersey Affiliate)
- National Board of Trial Advocacy Division of the National Board of Legal Specialty Certification- Board Certified
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Advocate Member
- Trial Attorneys of New Jersey, Member
- Justice Foundation, Champion Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Member
- Bergen County Bar Association, Member
- Trial Lawyers for Public Justice, Member
- The Melvin Belli Society: Vice President 2004-2005, President 2005-2006
- Master, Justice Brennan Inn of Court, Hudson County, New Jersey
- Master, Justice Morris Pashman Inn of Court, Bergen County, New Jersey
- Master, Chief Justice Arthur T. Vanderbilt, Inn of Court, Essex County, National Inns of Court Project, January 1991 to 1998 Speaking, Lecturing and Writing
- Taos Injury Lawyers, Member
Mr. Maggiano has spoken at dozens of conventions and seminars around the country on legal topics, and continues to do so actively. His topics range from the intricacies of legal techniques and strategies to specialized medical situations. He has appeared both on local and national television on various topics in the law. His cases and trials have been reported both in the general media and legal reporting journals. Mr. Maggiano has had dozens of his articles about winning for the injured published in leading legal journals.
Selected Civic Activities
- Active in UNICO National (Italian American Service Organization), Cliffside Park Chapter, including Past Cliffside Park Chapter Vice President, Past Cliffside Park Chapter Scholarship Chairman, Member of the Scholarship Committee, Member of the Anti-Defamation Committee, Member of the Legal Issues Committee, and Past Chairman of the National Scholarship Committee
- Columbus Citizens Foundation, Member
- Fort Lee Chamber of Commerce, Member
- United Homeowners of Fort Lee, Member
- Councilman, Borough of Fort Lee 1989-1991
- State Commissioner, New Jersey Public Broadcasting (appointed by Governor McGreevey with the consent of the Senate, November 2004)
- Board of Directors: The Hemodialysis Foundation of New Jersey