Bayonne is a stone’s throw away from the busiest city in the United States, which means that it has its fair share of traffic and, naturally, accidents. Despite the high concentration of people and cars in Bayonne, most motor vehicle collisions are avoidable, caused by one or more forms of negligent motorist behavior.
If you or a loved one was involved in a car accident in or near Bayonne, it might have been the result of negligent motorist behavior. If you suspect that this is the case and want to explore your options for pursuing compensation, call our team at Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi P.C. today at (201) 585-9111 for a free consultation today.
Hudson County Residents Can Fall Victim to Motorist Negligence
According to the New Jersey Department of Transportation, Hudson County, home to Bayonne, recorded 3,460 motor vehicle collision crashes that caused at least one injury in 2018, with 21 crashes proving fatal. Both statistics are fairly representative of the typical year in Hudson County when compared with other recent data.
These statistics illustrate that, if you are driving in Bayonne, there is a reasonable chance that you could be injured or killed in a car accident. Data compiled by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) shows that approximately 94% of accidents can be attributed to driver error.
If your accident was caused by driver error, the error may go by another term: negligence. A Bayonne car accident lawyer can help you determine if this was the case in your accident.
Motorist Negligence Puts Lives at Risk
The term negligence generally refers to actions taken (or not taken) by individuals that put one or more people at risk. When a motorist acts in a negligent fashion, they may put several categories of people at risk, including:
- Other motorists
- Passengers in other vehicles
- Bicyclists operating on or near the roadway
- Motorcyclists on the roadway
- Pedestrians walking near the roadway
- Business employees conducting operations near a roadway
While some of these potential victims are at a greater risk of injury and death than others, even the most protected victim can be seriously injured or killed in a motor vehicle accident. Even the smallest vehicles on the road generally weigh more than two tons, and fully-loaded trucks can weigh in at 80,000 pounds—all vehicles are a serious health hazard when not handled with caution.
Some of the most common ways that a motorist may put others’ lives and health at risk include:
- Drunk driving, which the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention identifies as a critical issue facing the people of New Jersey.
- Driving while under the influence of drugs, which is an increasingly common problem in an era of growing opioid abuse and misuse.
- Failing to abide by the speed limit.
- Failing to exercise necessary caution with respect to pedestrians crossing the road, walking near the road, or loading and unloading trucks on the shoulder.
- Engaging in generally aggressive driving maneuvers.
- Making illegal maneuvers on Bayonne’s roads.
- Failing to provide or ensure adequate distance between vehicles when driving behind a vehicle or turning into traffic.
If you believe that one or more forms of motorist negligence contributed to your accident, then the same negligence may have directly caused your injuries. The motorist responsible for this negligence could be responsible for your losses. Call our team at Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi P.C. today at (201) 585-9111 to speak at no cost about your accident and any case for awards that you may have.
For a free legal consultation with a car accidents lawyer serving Bayonne, call (201) 585-9111
A Bayonne Car Accident Lawyer Will Serve You in Several Ways
A Bayonne car accident lawyer can do several things for you, including:
- Help you figure out whether negligence was a likely contributor to your accident
- Help you understand what your options for pursuing and collecting compensation could be
- Make clear the benefits that hiring a lawyer may provide
Some of the big-picture benefits of a lawyer may include:
- The ability for you to go about your recovery and your life without dedicating additional time or effort to any lawsuit that you ultimately bring
- Having a legally trained sounding board for your questions and concerns
- Potentially obtaining compensation for your losses without having upfront costs and without having to expend any substantial effort of your own
A lawyer’s primary mission is to prove that the defendant(s) acted negligently and that their negligence caused you to suffer injuries and related losses.
Proving Negligence After a Motor Vehicle Collision
Proving negligence in a car accident–related personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit generally requires a Bayonne car accident lawyer to fulfill a four-step process. This process includes:
- Establishing that the defendant(s) owed the plaintiff (you) a duty of care. This generally means that they were required not to put you at an unreasonable risk of harm through their actions.
- Proving that the defendant(s) breached their duty of care. Such a breach can take many forms.
- Establishing a link between their breach of duty of care and your injuries, also known as causation.
- Calculating the losses that have arisen from the accident.
If a jury finds that the defendant(s) in your case were negligent, they may be financially responsible for your accident-related losses. Some of these losses may include:
- The cost of care for your injuries, which could include emergency care, surgeries, rehabilitation, and additional forms of treatment.
- Salary or wages that you have forfeited, either temporarily or permanently.
- Pain and suffering that stems from your accident and injuries.
Every case is different, and you could be entitled to additional damages depending on how the negligence has affected you personally.
Bayonne Car Accident Lawyer Near Me (201) 585-9111
Call Our Team at Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi P.C. Today
If you were in an accident in or near Bayonne, our team can provide the legal services that you need to pursue compensation. Call our team at Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi P.C. today at (201) 585-9111 for a free consultation.