A collision with a large truck can be devastating for all parties involved. Because trucks weigh 20 to 30 times more than the average passenger car, are much larger, and sit higher off the ground, a tractor-trailer or commercial truck can cause life-threatening or fatal injuries for anyone in a passenger car.
If you are suffering from injuries or are disabled after an Englewood Cliffs truck accident, you may be entitled to compensation from any and all negligent parties. The team at Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi P.C. is here to help.
An Englewood Cliffs truck accident lawyer understands the legal issues that are involved in pursuing compensation for truck accident injuries. Contact Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi P.C. today at (201) 585-9111 for a free case review of your claim.
Causes of Truck Accidents That May Entitle You to Compensation
According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), 4,136 people died in 2018 as a result of large truck crashes. While 16 percent of those fatalities were truck drivers, 67 percent of those fatalities were people in passenger cars.
Truck accidents may occur for several reasons. Some causes of truck accidents include:
Drowsy driving is a problem for all drivers across the United States, as more Americans than ever suffer from chronic fatigue. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), drowsy driving makes it hard to pay attention to the road, slows the driver’s reaction time if the flow of traffic suddenly changes, and impacts the driver’s ability to make good decisions. Truck drivers are particularly susceptible to fatigue since they legally spend up to 11 hours driving at a time, and many truck drivers report that they push beyond 11 hours to make deadlines.
Large tractor-trailers weigh far more than the average vehicle on the road, which means they need a much greater distance to stop. Stopping distance needs to be increased if the road is slippery or wet. If traffic suddenly comes to a stop, the truck driver may not have sufficient time to stop, especially if they were distracted by something else at that moment.
Distracted driving is another major problem for U.S. drivers. Though truck drivers are not legally allowed to text and drive, studies show that even using a hands-free device to have a conversation slows down reaction time more than being under the influence of drugs or alcohol, per Psychology Today. Distracted driving includes more than just cellphone use. It also includes changing the radio, eating behind the wheel, or any other behavior that takes a driver’s attention off the road. Because truck drivers spend so much time behind the wheel, they are likely to look for distractions to make the time pass more quickly.
Many studies have evaluated the state of trucks post-crash and found defective equipment. Problems with brakes and lighting are the most common. According to the IIHS, brakes that are out of adjustment are 1.8 times more likely to cause a crash.
If you or someone you love was hurt in an Englewood Cliffs truck accident, you may be able to build a case that could hold the negligent parties responsible. For a free review of your claim, and to get help from an Englewood Cliffs truck accident lawyer, contact Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi P.C. today at (201) 585-9111.
Injuries After a Truck Accident Can Be Severe
There are many injuries that someone could sustain after a truck accident. These injuries may include:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs): Traumatic brain injuries can occur if you experience a blow to the head in an accident. In severe cases, TBIs can disrupt normal brain function and change the victim’s personality.
- Spinal cord injuries: When damage occurs to the spinal cord, it can impact the brain’s ability to deliver messages to other parts of the body. This can cause loss of sensation or difficulty walking. Many people must use a wheelchair or another type of assistive device after a spinal cord injury.
- Internal bleeding: Internal bleeding can occur as a result of damage to the internal organs or brain. After a truck accident, many people experience severe internal bleeding, which can lead to external bleeding, coma, and death.
- Broken bones: Broken bones are common after any car accident, but especially ones where extreme force is created, such as in truck accidents. In most cases, these injuries heal without complications. If the bone pierces the skin or breaks in many pieces, complications can occur.
Liability in Truck Accident Cases Can Fall on Multiple Negligent Parties
Many parties can be held liable after a truck accident. Some of the potentially liable parties include:
- The driver: If the truck driver’s negligence caused the accident, they might be held liable.
- The parts manufacturer: If the truck accident was caused by defective brakes or other faulty equipment, then you may be able to hold the manufacturer responsible for your losses.
- The trucking company: If the trucking company failed to properly maintain the truck, you might be able to hold the company liable.
- The body shop: If the truck was maintained, but the accident occurred because the technician who did the maintenance was improperly trained or behaved negligently, then you may be able to hold the body shop responsible.
Get Help from an Englewood Cliffs Truck Accident Lawyer Today
Truck accident cases can be complex, as it can be challenging to determine who is responsible for an accident. In some cases, you may even be able to hold multiple parties liable.
An Englewood Cliffs truck accident lawyer can investigate your accident. They may work with accident scene reconstruction experts to determine what happened to cause the accident. If you choose to work with our law firm, we may be able to gather evidence, medical bills, and doctor’s statements to determine the value of your claim, including the cost of your pain and suffering. We can also negotiate with the insurance company to pursue fair compensation to cover your injuries. For a free case review, contact Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi P.C. today at (201) 585-9111.