Major accidents have the potential to cause serious scrapes, bruises, and lacerations on the victim. While these injuries may be less dire than a bone fracture or traumatic brain injury, they can still have as major impact on the victim’s life and well-being. In addition, deep cuts and lacerations can leave scars that affect the victim for years to come.
If you or a loved one has suffered injuries due to an accident, contact Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi today. Our skilled personal injury lawyers have spent more than 80 combined years fighting for the injured in New Jersey and New York, collecting more than $300 million in compensation along the way. Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi have the experience and commitment to see your claim through to the very end and hold the guilty party accountable for their negligence. Call (201) 585-9111 or contact us online to speak with one of our experienced personal injury attorneys today.
Causes of Scrapes, Bruises, and Lacerations
Scrapes, bruises, and lacerations can have a number of causes, including:
- Car accidents, including rear-end collisions, hit-and-run accidents, drunk driving accidents, rollover accidents, tire blowouts, and weather-related accidents
- Motorcycle accidents, including lane splitting, speeding, driving under the influence, and road hazards
- Trucking accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Construction accidents
- Workers Comp
- Medical malpractice
- Defective products
- Premises liability/unsafe building conditions, including slip-and-fall accidents, unsafe buildings, recreational accidents, and inadequate security
- Swimming pool accidents
- Assault by security guards or bouncers
- Amusement park accidents
- Dog bites
The best way to determine whether or not you have a claim—and who the claim should focus on—is to contact an experienced personal injury lawyer. Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi have the resources to conduct a thorough investigation of the accident, including collecting witness statements, obtaining medical records, and surveying the scene of the accident.
For a free legal consultation with a scrapes, bruises, and lacerations lawyer serving Fort Lee, call (201) 585-9111
Obtaining Compensation for Your Injuries
If you suffered scrapes, bruises, or lacerations in some sort of accident or negligent event, you could be eligible to recover money in a civil lawsuit. In order to prove your claim, you will have to prove three things: you suffered a psychological injury, the injury was caused by someone else’s negligence, and that display of negligence was the direct cause of your psychological injuries.
In the case of scrapes, bruises, or lacerations, it is extremely important to document your injuries. Taking high-quality images of your injuries right after the accident will bolster your personal injury case and give you reliable evidence from right after the incident. It is also important to seek medical attention right away; bruises and cuts may not seem like much to worry about, but internal bleeding or other hidden health concerns could be more dangerous than you realize. (Plus, having reliable medical records from right after the crash can only help in the event of a personal injury claim.)
Damages in a personal injury case are divided into two categories: compensatory and punitive damages. The vast majority of personal injury cases deal with compensatory damages, which are designed to compensate the injured person for losses suffered as a result of the accident. Compensatory damages in a speeding accident could include:
- Current and future medical treatment: includes hospitalization costs, ongoing treatment expenses, rehabilitation costs, and any expected future medical expenses
- Lost wages: compensation for wages lost while out of work due to the accident, as well as decreased earning capacity in the future if the injuries will continue to affect the victim
- Property damage: compensation for damage to the victim’s car, clothing, or other personal effects as a result of the accident
- Loss of enjoyment of life: covers loss of enjoyment of day-to-day activities, recreation, hobbies, and exercise
- Pain and suffering: the physical and emotional pain caused by the accident, including the pain of the physical injuries and ongoing emotional trauma
- Emotional distress: the psychological effects of an injury, such as anxiety, sleep loss, or fear (typically awarded in severe accidents)
- Wrongful death: compensation for the family or estate of someone killed by a negligent action
There is no cap on compensatory damages in the state of New Jersey. This means you are eligible to recover the full amount of damages, so long as you can prove the monetary value of your losses.
Punitive damages are awarded more rarely than compensatory damages. Punitive damages are designed to punish the negligent party for particularly egregious behavior, such as causing an accident on purpose. As such, they are only awarded in certain cases with unusual circumstances.
It is important to keep in mind that there is a two-year statute of limitations on personal injury cases in New Jersey. In other words, you have two years from the date of the accident to file a civil suit against the negligent party. If you fail to file a lawsuit within two years, New Jersey courts will refuse to hear your case and you could lose out on your right to compensation.
Fort Lee Scrapes, Bruises, and Lacerations Lawyer Near Me (201) 585-9111
Contact Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi
Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi are proud to represent the injured throughout New Jersey and New York. Since opening our doors in 1974, we have been committed to the highest standards of excellence in personal injury litigation. Our million-dollar and multi-million-dollar settlements have earned us inclusion in the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, of which fewer than 1 percent of U.S. lawyers are members. Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi was named to U.S. News and World Report’s Best Law Firms list of 2019, and Michael Maggiano and Christopher DiGirolamo have received the highest possible ratings as car accident attorneys by the AVVO Lawyer Ratings service.
With more than 80 years’ worth of combined trial experience, we are prepared to investigate your claim and fight to hold the negligent party accountable for their actions. If you or a loved one has suffered scrapes, bruises, or lacerations due to an accident, contact us to discuss your legal options. Call (201) 585-9111 or contact us online to schedule your free and confidential consultation today.