Bergen County Personal Injury Attorneys
Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi P.C. has earned a reputation in Bergen County for helping accident victims. Our personal injury attorneys and legal professionals are devoted to advocating for you.
Have you been injured in an accident in Bergen County? Contact Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi P.C. now to speak to an experienced Bergen County personal injury lawyer. We will fight to get you the compensation you deserve. We will provide you with a free consultation, and there are no obligations. We handle all personal injury claims on a contingency fee basis. This meaning you don’t owe us anything in attorney’s fees unless and until we recover compensation for you.
Car accidents are a leading cause of death in the United States.1 More than 90 percent of all car crashes are caused by human error.2 This human error can come in many forms, like (but not limited to):
- Driver errors, like distracted driving, drunk driving and reckless driving
- Manufacturer negligence, such as vehicle design flaws or defective automotive equipment
- Other negligence, like failures to maintain safe roadways.
When a car crash is caused by negligence, you have legal options for holding the negligent parties accountable. Read More about Car Accidents
Every day we see large trucks driving throughout Bergen County. When these trucks crash into other vehicles or pedestrians, the injuries that result are serious. Catastrophic truck accidents leave victims with traumatic brain injuries (TBI), spinal cord injuries, internal injuries, and severe bone fractures. The Bergen County truck accident lawyers at Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi P.C. understand the complexities related to truck accident cases. We stand ready to review your personal injury case and find all avenues for compensation.
Truck crashes are among the deadliest traffic wrecks. While the careless or reckless actions of truck drivers can cause these accidents, so too can the negligence of other motorists, trucking companies and other parties. Read More about Truck Accidents
Motorcyclists are among the most vulnerable travelers on the roads. In fact, whenever traffic crashes involve a motorcycle rider, the rider is nearly 30 times more likely than people in passenger vehicles to be killed.3 Motorcyclists can face catastrophic injuries when fellow drivers fail to pay attention and cause a crash. If you have been in a crash while on a motorcycle, and you feel the accident was caused by someone else’s negligence, contact us today. You may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. The motorcycle accident attorneys in Bergen County at Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi P.C. are dedicated to helping those hurt in motorcycle accidents. Read more about Motorcycle Accidents
Nursing Home Abuse
About 10 percent of nursing home residents will be the target of some form abuse while staying in these facilities.4 While nursing home abuse can involve physical assaults and violence, it can also include emotional and financial abuse.
Regardless of whether this abuse comes at the hands of nursing home staff or others, the perpetrators – and possibly the nursing home facility – can be liable for the harm they have caused. Please contact the Bergen County Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys at Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi P.C. Read more about Nursing Home Abuse
In the aftermath of a workplace accident or an occupational illness diagnosis, injured workers may be able to pursue:
- A workers’ compensation claim – Although workers will not have to prove fault as part of these claims, they will have to follow specific rules, meet certain deadlines and possibly even see specific doctors (chosen by the employer or its insurance company).
- A personal injury claim – This can be an option when the negligence of someone other than the employer, a co-worker or the injured worker contributed to the work injuries. These other parties can include equipment manufacturers, building owners, contractors and others.
At Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi, P.C., our lawyers can help injured workers and their families build and successfully resolve both workers compensation and related personal injury claims.
Read more about Workers’Compensation
As some of the most vulnerable travelers on the roadways, pedestrians are often seriously – if not fatally – injured when traffic accidents happen. Also tragic are the facts that:
- Deadly pedestrian accidents in the U.S. have been on the rise since 2016, jumping up about 9 percent5 – Some experts believe distracted driving, coupled with low gas prices putting more drivers on the road, have contributed to this recent surge in pedestrian accidents.
- Preventable motorist negligence is often to blame when serious pedestrian accidents occur – Along with distracted driving, driving while impaired and failing to comply with traffic laws are common examples of motorist negligence that often plays a role in causing pedestrian accidents.
When pedestrians are hurt in any type of traffic collision, the attorneys at Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi, P.C. can help them hold the negligent parties accountable and fight for the compensation they deserve.
Losing a loved one is always difficult. When the loss could have been prevented if someone had been more careful, responsible or diligent, however, the impacts can be even more devastating, if not maddening.
At Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi, P.C., we are dedicated to helping families seek justice and financial recovery when any type of negligence has taken the life of their loved one(s). Though we are realize that compensation can never bring back a loved one, we also know that this compensation can be indispensable to helping families pick up the pieces and start rebuilding their lives.
That is why our attorneys handle various types of wrongful death cases, including (but not limited to) those involving:
- Traffic accidents
- Dangerous, faulty and toxic products
- Work accidents.
We have a wealth of experience in variety of cases involving all types of accidents.
Our practice areas include:
6 Important & Little-Known Facts about Personal Injury Cases
- The actions you do or don’t take after filing your case can impact its outcome – In other words, the events of the accident are NOT the only factors that can influence the strength and success of your claim. Actions or inactions like the following may also yield evidence that can affect whether your claim results in compensation and, in some cases, the amount of compensation obtained:
- Actions like posting details of the accident to social media or providing recorded statements to insurers may detract from the strength of a plaintiff’s case. Conversely, actions like complying with all doctors’ orders and consulting a lawyer can help preserve the strength of a claim.
- Inaction like failing to see a doctor or failing report an accident to an insurance company can also have negative impacts on a case. In contrast, a lack of action with regards to admitting fault or apologizing for an accident can be helpful to protecting a claim.
- A well-written demand letter may be sufficient to resolve a claim – Commonly sent before a lawsuit is officially filed, demand letters outline the details of a case and make some formal request for resolving the dispute. They can also explain that a lawsuit will be filed if the request is not met. When issues of negligence, liability and damages are fairly clear cut, a properly written demand letter can spark efficient, favorable resolutions to some personal injury cases.
- Most personal injury cases are resolved out of court – The vast majority of personal injury claims are not tried in a courtroom but are, instead, resolved outside the courtroom via negotiation, mediation, etc. This is often beneficial to both plaintiffs and defendants, as it can provide for faster resolutions and save litigation costs.At Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi, P.C., we are always focused on achieving successful outcomes that meet our clients’ needs and goals. While that often means we strive to resolve cases outside of court, our experienced trial attorneys are always ready to try a case in court when that best serves our clients and their claims.
- A jury verdict may NOT be the end of a claim – When a case ends with a verdict in favor of the plaintiff, the defendant may file an appeal, prolonging a case. When that happens, there is a risk that an appellate court may overturn the lower court’s verdict. Additionally, even if no appeal is filed, there can be challenges in getting the awarded compensation (like when a defendant may be insolvent or may flat-out disregard the judgment).As a result, this fact underscores the importance of having an experienced attorney in your corner for all phases of a personal injury case, including through a jury verdict and the payment of compensation.
- Medical liens may be paid from an award before the victim receives it – When injured parties are unable to pay for medical bills associated with their accident and injuries, providers (like doctors and hospitals) may file medical liens against the pending claim and the potential recovery.If the liens are not resolved before compensation is awarded and received, those liens can be paid out of the settlement or award before the plaintiff receives it. In the event of extensive medical costs, that may leave little to nothing for the victorious plaintiff. Again, an experienced lawyer can take care of this aspect of a claim to help injured people retain as much of their recovery as possible.
- It can be wise to plan for how a personal injury award will be handled – Specifically, setting up a trust to hold the settlement or award from a claim can be a smart way to maintain eligibility for need-based government benefits (like Social Security Disability and Supplement Security Income). This is due to the fact that assets held by a trust will not be counted as income or assets of the plaintiff (or beneficiary).
Accidents and Injuries in Bergen County
There were more than 31,000 car accidents in Bergen County in 2013, resulting in 5,700 injuries and 32 deaths. Whether it was speeding, driving under the influence, or a defective vehicle, many of these accidents are the result of someone else’s negligence.
Even more troubling is the increasing effect of technology on the roadways. Distracted driving caused more than 3,300 deaths and 421,000 injuries nationwide in 2012, according to the U.S. Department of Transportation, and studies show that most drivers attribute their concerns on the road to distracted driving. More than 80 percent of drivers believe that distracted driving is a serious problem and that is makes them feel unsafe on the road, according to a study from the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety.
Why Hire Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi?
The Law Firm of Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi offers the experience, resources, and reputation you need for a successful personal injury case.
The trial attorneys of Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi have more than 80 years’ worth of combined trial experience. We have collected more than $300 million for clients throughout New Jersey and New York, both in and out of the courtroom. Over the last 40 years, we have won a number of significant verdicts and settlements, including:
- $10 million for a car accident victim who suffered a severe brain injury and visual impairment after being thrown from a vehicle
- $7 million to a 23-year-old pedestrian who suffered a debilitating brain injury after being struck by a vehicle
- $6.2 million for a commercial truck driver who was struck by another truck driver while pulled off on the side of the road
- $2.8 million for a car accident victim who was struck by a negligent driver, leading to a total knee replacement
- $2.5 million for a driver who was struck by a New Jersey Transit Bus after exiting the Lincoln Tunnel
- $1.7 million for a 50-year-old driver who was rear-ended at a stoplight
You cannot overstate the importance of having resources on your side. After a serious accident, the bills can be overwhelming—hospital bills, rehabilitation costs, car repairs, days missed at work, the list goes on and on. In addition to your regular day-to-day bills, you now have an assortment of unexpected expenses.
Trying to deal with these expenses alone can be extremely frustrating and difficult. Having experienced trial attorneys on your side can help you navigate these expenses, deal with insurance adjusters and workers’ compensation insurers, and ensure you receive fair compensation.
Whether your case goes to court or not, it is crucial to work with a law firm with a rock-solid reputation. Insurance companies know which attorneys have a proven track record of success and who will fight back in court for their clients; with a respected, experienced attorney working on your case, the insurance company will take your claim more seriously and give you a better shot at fair compensation. Our personal injury practice is headed by Michael Maggiano, a veteran trial attorney who has been listed by Super Lawyers Magazine as a New Jersey Super Lawyer since 2005. We are members of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, which is reserved for attorneys who have won million- and multi-million-dollar verdicts and settlements, including less than 1 percent of U.S. lawyers.
Contact a Bergen County Personal Injury Lawyer at Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi, P.C. for Help Now
When others’ negligence harms you or someone you love, you can turn to an experienced Bergen County personal injury lawyer at Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi, P.C. for extraordinary advocacy and effective help seeking justice and compensation.
Call (201) 585-9111 or email our firm for important insights about your potential claim and helpful advice regarding your legal options. We look forward to hearing from you and helping you with your claim.
About Bergen County
Located in the northeast corner of New Jersey, Bergen County is home to more than 939,000 people, making it the state’s most populous county. Bergen County, which is part of the Gateway Region, is bordered by the Hudson River and sits directly across from Manhattan, connected to it via the George Washington Bridge.
Encompassing 70 municipalities, Bergen County is comprised of unique, diverse communities, as well as picturesque views, an extensive park system and various historical monuments and noteworthy landmarks. Some major points of interest in Bergen County include the New Jersey Naval Museum, the Aviation Hall of Fame, the Meadowlands Racetrack, the Steuben House and Palisades Interstate Park.
Some fun facts about Bergen County:
- It was one of the first four counties established in the state.
- It is the 4th wealthiest county in New Jersey and one of the wealthiest counties in the nation (based on per capita income).
- Its name, a subject of debate, is commonly thought to have been derived from the Dutch and mean “place of safety.”
Bergen County Courthouse Locations
Bergen County Justice Center
10 Main St
Hackensack, NJ 07601
Hours: M-F 8:30-4:30
Central Municipal Court Bergen County
71 Hudson St
Hackensack, NJ 07601
Hours: M-F 9:00-4:00