Defective Fuel Systems
Gasoline, propane, ethanol, and diesel fuel are necessary to keep our machines up and running, but these fuels can be extremely dangerous if the system keeping them in place is defective. A vehicle’s fuel system must be properly designed, manufactured, and installed to prevent fuel leakage—both in normal driving and in the event of a crash. Fuel-fed fires are extremely dangerous and often deadly, which is why the design and placement of the fuel system is incredibly important.
Whether the issue is in the gas cap, fuel line, fuel tank, or fuel pump, defective fuel systems are extremely dangerous. If you or a loved one has been injured due to a defective fuel system, Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi can help. Our trial attorneys have more than 80 years’ worth of combined experience in the courtroom, and we are prepared to investigate your claim thoroughly and hold the guilty party accountable. Call (201) 585-9111 or contact Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi online to schedule your free and confidential consultation today.
Compensation in a Personal Injury Case
An experienced personal injury attorney will be able to help you identify monetary, physical, and mental losses—referred to as “damages”—suffered in an accident. The vast majority of damages in personal injury cases are compensatory damages, intended to compensate the victim for losses, both tangible and intangible.
Types of compensatory damages include:
- Medical treatment: the cost of medical treatment stemming from the injury, including hospital treatment, ambulatory services, and any future medical costs associated with the injury
- Income: the loss of income from the accident, as well as any decreased earning potential in the future
- Property loss: the cost of personal items, including vehicles, clothing, and other property, that were damaged or lost as a result of the incident
- Pain and suffering: compensation for pain and discomfort suffered as a result of the accident, including any ongoing pain
- Emotional distress: compensation for the psychological distress of a particularly serious accident, including fear, anxiety, and loss of sleep
- Loss of enjoyment or consortium: compensation for losing the ability to enjoy day-to-day activities, recreational activities, or adverse effects on a plaintiff’s relationship to his or her spouse or children
- Wrongful death: compensation for the wrongful death (awarded to the dependents of the deceased)
Product Liability Cases
Defective fuel systems and other defective car parts fall under the umbrella of “products liability” law. Under products liability law, an injured plaintiff can sue the part of a manufacturing chain responsible for the defective final product.
One of the most difficult parts of a product liability claim is figuring out who the potential defendants are for your case. Any participant in the chain of distribution for your vehicle could have had a hand in producing the defective final product, and as such, it is important to identify all possible sources of liability.
Possible defendants in a defective vehicle claim include the manufacturer, the manufacturer of the defective part itself, the car dealership or used car dealer, the automotive supply shop, or even the shipper of the defective products.
Why Hire Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi?
Simply put, the law firm of Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi offers the experience, resources, and reputation you need for a successful personal injury case.
Our certified civil trial attorneys have more than 80 years’ worth of combined trial experience. We have collected more than $300 million for clients throughout Cliffside, Bergen County, and all of New Jersey. We have collected a number of significant verdicts and settlements over the last 40 years, including:
- $101 million for a construction accident case in which a 10-story parking garage collapsed, killing 4 people and injuring 32 others (the largest settlement of a construction accident case in U.S. history)
- $11.5 million for a hospital negligence case in which a behavioral health facility failed to adequately treat a patient, who later murdered his wife, daughter, and stepdaughter
- $10 million for a car accident victim who suffered a severe brain injury and visual impairment after being thrown from a vehicle
- $7 million to a 23-year-old pedestrian who suffered a debilitating brain injury after being struck by a vehicle
- $6.2 million for a commercial truck driver who was struck by another truck driver while pulled off on the side of the road
- $2.8 million for a car accident victim who was struck by a negligent driver, leading to a total knee replacement
- $2.5 million for a driver who was struck by a New Jersey Transit Bus after exiting the Lincoln Tunnel
- $1.7 million for a 50-year-old driver who was rear-ended at a stoplight
It is critically important to have resources on your side when you pursue a personal injury claim. After an accident, the bills can be overwhelming; hospital bills, rehabilitation costs, car repairs, days missed at work, and other expenses, on top of your regular day-to-day bills, can have a serious effect on your financial well-being.
Trying to navigate these extra expenses alone can be rather frustrating. The experienced trial attorneys at Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi have helped hundreds of clients navigate these expenses, deal with insurance adjusters, stand up to opposing attorneys, and fight for fair compensation.
Whether your case goes to court or not, it is crucial to work with a law firm with a rock-solid reputation. Insurance companies know which attorneys have a proven track record of success and who will fight back in court for their clients; with a respected, experienced attorney working on your case, the insurance company will take your claim more seriously and give you a better shot at fair compensation.
Our personal injury practice is headed by Michael Maggiano, a veteran trial attorney who has been listed by Super Lawyers Magazine as a New Jersey Super Lawyer since 2005. We are members of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, which is reserved for attorneys who have won million- and multi-million-dollar verdicts and settlements, including less than 1 percent of U.S. lawyers.
If you or a loved one has been injured due to a defective fuel system, we can help. Call (201) 585-9111 or contact Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi to schedule your free consultation today.