The likelihood of a serious or fatal motorcycle accident is more likely than those who are protected in motor vehicles on the roadways. Lack of substantial protective barriers while riding could put a rider in a serious position, which is why they must follow special duties of care regarding the way they ride. Because motorcycle accidents are so prevalent, researchers have gathered together some surprising facts about these accidents that we will share with you.
- The large majority of motorcycle accidents involve a collision with another vehicle.
- You may think that the motorcycle failing itself would make up a large percentage of accidents, but motorcycle failures only account for 3%.
- In many cases of accidents, the other driver will fail to recognize the motorcycle in traffic.
- The most likely place for a motorcycle accident is at an intersection, where other vehicles will sometimes violate the rider’s right-of-way or traffic controls.
- There is a high risk of fire presented in motorcycle accidents, as fuel system leaks and spills may occur. In fact, they will occur in 62% of motorcycle accidents.
- 92% of motorcycle riders are self-taught or learned how to ride from friends or family. Motorcycle rider training can reduce the likelihood of accidents.
- In ½ of motorcycle accident fatalities, alcohol was present in some way.
- Using heavy boots, jackets, and gloves can help fend from abrasions or lacerations.
- Only 40% of accident-involved riders were wearing helmets at the time of their accident.
- A small percentage of motorcycle riders will have insurance to provide for themselves after they have become injured.
If you have been involved in a motorcycle accident and suffered severe injuries as a result, you may have questions concerning how you can receive compensation for these injuries. You will have to determine legal responsibility for your motorcycle accident with the help of an experienced attorney. Call us today at Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi for more information on how we can assist you.