Were you Hit by a Government Vehicle in NJ?

Government vehicles are on roads and highways everywhere in New Jersey – and include police cars, fire trucks, ambulances, city maintenance trucks, municipal waste trucks, city buses, county snow plow vehicles, DOT trucks, school buses, mail carrier vehicles, road construction vehicles, and military vehicles.

When you’re involved in an accident with a government vehicle or any vehicle for that matter, your life can change in an instant. Not only will you have to deal with your injuries, but you’ll also have to deal with the challenge of filing a claim against a government entity.

The following are instances in which you might need to file a government-related claim:

  • You were injured on a highway or state-maintained road
  • You were in an accident with a government vehicle or worker
  • Your accident occurred on government-owned land

It is difficult to sue the city, state or federal government; however, it can be done. The government has strict policies on how to file a claim, as well as stringent statute of limitations.

Under New Jersey law, the time limits within which one must file a lawsuit is two years from the date the injury occurred and six years to file a lawsuit for damage to your vehicle or other property damaged in the accident.

However, for more comprehensive and updated information with regard to mandated requirements applicable to Statutes of Limitations, always consult with legal counsel. At the law offices of Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi there is experienced top ranking attorneys who know the personal injury and accident laws in New Jersey.  To submit a contact form click here.

The threshold for proving driver responsibility and fault is significantly higher when you’re suing the government than what is required in a typical accident case involving a private individual.

Lawsuits against the government are complicated and involve numerous technical procedures that must be followed, including deadlines. If you are considering suing the government, whether local, city, state or federal, the most prudent thing to do is to first contact the personal injury law offices of Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi to discuss your case, legal rights and options.

We have offices in Fort Lee, New Jersey and New York City.