Neglect and abuse occur all too frequently in nursing homes across the U.S. When nursing home neglect or abuse harms you or a loved one, the Jersey City lawyers at Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi, P.C. will be ready to help you:
- Determine and pursue the available legal remedies
- Hold the negligent parties and/or abusers liable
- Fight for the compensation and justice you may deserve.
With more than 90 years of combined legal experience, our attorneys have the skills and insights to aggressively advocate your rights in any type of nursing home neglect or abuse claim. We are ready to partner with you, level the playing field and help you obtain the best possible resolution to your case.
Have You or a Loved One Been Victimized by Nursing Home Neglect or Abuse?
Evening & Weekend Appointments Are Available
You can receive invaluable advice regarding your potential case during a free consultation. Until then, below are some generally helpful answers about the incidence and impacts of nursing home abuse, as well as how an attorney can help with a case.
How Common Is Nursing Home Abuse?
The latest data reveals that nursing home abuse and neglect impacts about 10 percent of all residents in U.S. nursing home facilities.1 Many, however, believe that this is an underestimate, as these events are commonly underreported due to factors like (but not limited to):
- Victims’ fear of retaliation or getting the perpetrator in trouble
- Victims not being able to report the neglect or abuse (due to physical or cognitive impairments arising from medical conditions like dementia or Alzheimer’s, for instance).
Please be aware that nursing home neglect and abuse can:
- Take various forms, such physical or sexual abuse, failure to supervise, emotional abuse and financial abuse
- Be committed by various parties, like nursing home staff, other residents and/or visitors to these facilities.
Verdicts and Settlements
$325,000 - Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
To a nursing home resident who developed a Stage IV ulcer requiring surgery where the nursing home alleged the resident was non-compliant with recommendations to reduce pressure from excessive wheelchair use.
What Are the Signs of Nursing Home Neglect & Abuse?
Common signs of nursing home neglect and abuse can include (and may not be restricted to):
- Severe dehydration
- Unexplained injuries
- Emotional withdrawal
- Increased anxiety or fear around certain people
- Rapid, unexplained weight loss
- Disinterest in food and/or activities that used to be sources of joy
- Sudden, dramatic changes in mood and/or behavior
- Frequent illness and/or infections.
If your loved one in a nursing home is living with a disability, dementia or some other impairment, being familiar with the common warning signs of nursing home neglect and abuse is critical. This can empower you to help your loved one (who may be unable to help him- or herself) whenever there may be red flags of nursing home neglect or abuse.
How Can an Attorney Help Us Investigate & Prosecute a Nursing Home Abuse Claim?
A lawyer can help you determine if you have a nursing home neglect or abuse case – and, if so, help you set your case up for the best possible outcome. Some of the specific things an attorney can do to this end include:
- Managing all court filings and case deadlines
- Compiling the necessary evidence to solidify the case
- Help you protect your rights and successfully navigate the road ahead so you can obtain the compensation and justice you deserve.
Contact a Jersey City Personal Injury Lawyer at Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi, P.C.
If you or a loved one has been hurt by nursing home neglect or abuse, contact an experienced Jersey City personal injury lawyer at Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi, P.C. by calling (201) 585-9111 or emailing us. We are ready to collaborate with you in the pursuit of financial recovery and justice.
Savvy and resourceful, our attorneys have the knowledge and skills to outsmart and out-fight the opposition in these cases. We use the latest technologies, along with proven strategies, to build our clients strong cases and bring these claims to the best possible outcomes.
Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi, P.C.’s long-standing history of superior advocacy and success in nursing home abuse (and other personal injury) cases has earned us many professional honors and positive testimonials from past clients.
We look forward to hearing from you and helping you with your case.
1: From the National Center on Elder Abuse (NCEA)