Jersey City Workers Compensation Attorneys
In seconds, a work accident can cause catastrophic injuries. In the aftermath of these accidents, injured workers can typically seek workers’ compensation benefits. They may also have other options for financial recovery.
At Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi, P.C., our experienced Jersey City attorneys have extensive experience helping injured workers identify and pursue all available legal remedies so they can obtain the full compensation they deserve.
We know how important financial recoveries can be to restoring lives, which is why we always work diligently and fight aggressively to help our clients secure the maximum recovery available.
Hurt on the Job?
Call (201) 585-9111 or Email Us
for a Free, Confidential, No Obligations Case Evaluation
We are ready to provide you with the insights you need to take the right steps towards compensation and justice. Though we urge you to contact us as soon as you are ready to receive essential information regarding your rights and options, we also invite you to:
- Explore the following for some helpful answers about workers’ compensation claims and recoveries.
- Download our free e-book, Workers’ Compensation Legal Guide, for additional information.
What Is Workers’ Compensation?
The workers’ compensation system pays benefits to workers who have developed an occupational illness or who have sustained an injury on the job. The purpose of this system is to provide injured workers with the financial support necessary to seek medical treatment and recover to the extent possible.
As such, workers’ compensation can include some combination of the following benefits (depending on the nature of the injuries sustained):
- Medical benefits to cover the hospitalization and/or treatment costs
- Temporary disability benefits when the injury prevents someone from being able to return to work for at least seven days
- Permanent partial disability benefits when the injury causes an irreversible partial impairment (like the loss of digits, appendages, eyes, ears and/or teeth)
- Permanent total disability benefits when the injury causes an irreversible total impairment (which is presumed to have occurred when two “major members” of the body have been permanently disabled)
- Death benefits when the work-related injuries or illness has fatal outcomes.
What Should I Do after a Workplace Accident?
When a work accident or injury occurs:
- Report the incident as soon as possible to a supervisor or any on-site authority – This notification should occur no later than 90 days from the date of the incident. It can be a written or verbal notification.
- Seek medical treatment – Emergency medical treatment should be sought for any life-threatening injuries. If the injuries are not potentially deadly, the worker should request medical treatment from the employer. According to New Jersey workers’ compensation law,1 the employer has the right to select the treating physician (and failing to honor this right can result in a nonpayment of medical benefits).
What If I Don’t Like the Doctor My Employer Has Sent Me to? What Are My Options?
When an employer fails to refer an injured worker to a medical treatment provider, the injured worker can file a Motion for Medical and/or Temporary Disability Benefits. Specific documents must be submitted – and certain deadlines must be met – to pursue this Motion.
Whenever these Motions are filed, they are prioritized, typically being set to go before a judge within 30 days of the Motion being properly submitted.
How Can a Lawyer Help Me after a Work Accident?
An experienced attorney can be an essential partner and advocate when it is time to recover from a work accident, injury and/or illness. This is primarily due to the facts that a lawyer can:
- Explain the workers’ compensation process
- Determine whether injured workers have additional options for financial recovery
- Oversee all court filings and case deadlines
- Represent injured workers throughout their claims, helping them achieve the best possible outcomes.
The bottom line is that, after a work injury, you likely need to focus on treatment and healing. As you focus on your physical recovery, Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi, P.C. can on your financial recovery and set your case up for success.
Contact a Jersey City Workers Compensation Lawyer at Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi, P.C.
If you or a loved one has been hurt on the job, contact an experienced Jersey City workers compensation lawyer at Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi, P.C. by calling (201) 585-9111 or emailing us. Weekend and evening appointments are available.
We are ready to collaborate with you, level the playing field and help you navigate the path to financial recovery and justice.
With more than 90 years of combined legal experience, the Jersey City workers compensation lawyers at Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi, P.C. have the insight, courage and resources necessary to provide you with:
- Personalized legal service
- Respect, honesty and compassion
- Extraordinary advocacy and the highest quality representation
Our established record of superior service and success in workers compensation claims has earned us many positive testimonials from previous clients, as well as numerous professional recognitions.
1: Workers’ Guide to New Jersey Workers’ Compensation Law, from the New Jersey Department of Labor & Workforce Development