If you or someone you love was the victim of a truck accident caused by a third party in Palisades Park, New Jersey, the Palisades Park truck accident team from Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi P.C. may be able to help answer your questions about the complex legal process.
Being the victim of a truck accident may ruin your life through health challenges and financial difficulties resulting from your accident. In some cases, there may be financial compensation available for victims with eligible cases. Call Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi P.C. at (201) 585-9111 to set up a no-obligation consultation.
Injuries Suffered in Truck Accidents
Trucks are large vehicles that have the potential to cause a tremendous amount of damage. Injuries from truck accidents may be minor or severe. In some cases, you may walk away from a truck accident with superficial injuries and a short recovery time, but more serious injuries may require immediate medical care. In severe cases, truck accidents may be fatal. Some common injuries from truck accidents include but are not limited to:
- Whiplash due to sudden movements in the head and neck area
- Superficial injuries such as minor scrapes, cuts, or bruising
- Broken bones, fractures, and dislocations
- PTSD or other forms of mental effects related to the experience
- Internal injuries to various organs
- Sprains, strains, tears, and injuries to the joints of the body
Truck accidents are the cause of thousands of injuries and deaths in the United States annually, and thus are tracked by a number of federal agencies to try and develop preventative measures. In 2017, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) reported over 4,500 fatalities due to large truck accidents, with the vehicles defined as those weighing 10,000 pounds or more. In the state of New Jersey alone, nearly 600 people lost their lives due to traffic accidents in 2018 according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
While even a single fatal accident is tragic and may ruin several lives, this data does not incorporate the injuries, property damage, and other data further emphasizing how dangerous truck accidents may be.
Large truck drivers are specially trained, but sometimes things go wrong, which may increase the chance of an accident.
For a free legal consultation with a truck accidents lawyer serving Palisades Park, call (201) 890-4838
Risk Factors for Truck Accidents
Even if you are a safe driver, you cannot control the vehicles around you. Below are factors that contribute to some accidents, including those involving large trucks:
- Driving in hazardous weather
- Driving under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or other mind-altering substances
- Distracted driving, such as looking at a cell phone, playing with the radio or console, or a driver diverting attention away from the road
- Failure to obey traffic signs and other laws
- Mechanical failure
- Improper lane changes
- Lack of a safe distance between vehicles
Understanding the risk factors of accidents may help you become a safer driver and take active measures to avoid future accidents.
Palisades Park Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me (201) 890-4838
How to Avoid an Accident
Whether you are running an errand or embarking on a long journey, driving is always a threat to your safety. While most Americans rely on vehicles on a daily basis for transportation, few stop to think about the dangers every time they take to the road. Some basic precautions you can take the next time you drive include:
- Always wear a seat belt
- Do not use a cell phone, engage in an unsafe manner with passengers, play with the radio, or allow yourself to lose focus while driving
- Avoid driving in bad weather if at all possible
- Have your vehicle inspected regularly by a professional to minimize the chance of mechanical failure
- Fill your vehicle up with gas before a long trip and try to plan out your route to avoid needing directions while on the road
- Maintain a safe distance between your vehicle and other cars, motorcycles, and trucks
- Do not drive if you have consumed alcohol or any other substance that may alter your judgement and ability to operate a vehicle
- Always obey traffic signs and laws specific to the area you are in
- Never speed, speeding decreases your ability to react and is a threat to everyone on the road
If you incorporate these techniques and other guidelines for safe driving, you may be better prepared to protect the safety of yourself and loved ones on the road. However, if you are still in a truck accident there are steps you may take in the aftermath to help you focus on your recovery.
What You may Do Next
If you were in a car accident, the most important thing you can do is focus on your health and recovery. In the aftermath of your accident, you may be wondering how you may make up for your medical bills, lost vehicle or personal property, and other related expenses. In some cases, you may take legal action against a third party responsible for your accident. If you would like to learn more about your legal options, you may be able to contact the Palisades Park truck accident team from Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi P.C. at (201) 585-9111 for a free consultation.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
You may be feeling overwhelmed after your truck accident and do not know where to turn for help. The team at Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi P.C. may be able to assist with cases like yours, and may be available to answer your questions. Call (201) 585-9111 to schedule a free consultation. Start taking action today so you can focus on getting back to your normal way of life.