If you suffered a back injury because of someone else’s negligence in West New York, New Jersey, you may be frustrated. Back injuries can be painful and debilitating, and leave you unable to work or enjoy your favorite activities as you did in the past.
If you are facing medical bills, a loss of wages, pain, and suffering related to the back injury you have suffered, you may be entitled to seek compensation from the party that caused your injury. A West New York back injuries lawyer can help defend your rights against an insurance company that does not want to fairly compensate you for your injury.
At Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi P.C., our team can negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf, using the facts in the case to prove what would be a fairer settlement you may be entitled to. Call us at (201) 585-9111 for a free review of your case.
What Kinds of Accidents Result in Back Injuries?
Whether you are at work, driving your car for pleasure, or participating in strenuous activities, an accident may lead to a significant back injury. Signs of back injuries include:
- Constant pain
- Stiffness in the lower back that restricts movement
- Difficulty maintaining a proper sitting or standing posture
- Lack of mobility
- Difficulty rising from a sitting position
- Difficulty sleeping
Back Injuries at Work
According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), some of the ways a person may suffer a back injury at work include:
- Lifting a heavy object
- Sitting in one position too long
- Poor mechanics for lifting or carrying items
- Poorly designed equipment
- Twisting and bending awkwardly while lifting objects
- Slip and fall accidents
- Excessive vibration from machinery
- Repetitive stress on the back
- Vehicle accidents
Back injuries caused more American workers to miss days of work than any other type of injury to the body in 2016, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). BLS reported that about 17 percent of all workdays missed were the result of an injury to the back or spine. Among those back injuries, strains were the most frequent type of injury that led to missing work.
Back Injuries in Personal Life
A person may suffer back injuries while performing everyday tasks away from work, too. If you are attempting to lift heavy items at home or playing sports, you may suffer a back injury. Some back injuries are the result of a single trauma or action, while others may form over time, as repetitive activities can create a progressive injury.
If you are unsure exactly where your back injury originated, a West New York back injuries lawyer can go through your medical records and history to help you determine when the injury started and who may be held responsible for your pain, suffering, and medical bills. Call Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi P.C. at (201) 585-9111 for a free review of your case.
For a free legal consultation with a back injury lawyer serving West New York, call (201) 890-4838
Why is the Back Especially Susceptible to Injuries?
The spine and spinal cord are a delicate collection of bone, ligaments, and nerves designed to provide as much flexibility as possible for the human torso, while also protecting the nervous system that supports the entire body. Muscles in the back help to hold the spinal column in place and support its positioning.
If all parts of the back are not in perfect alignment, you may suffer from pain.
Types of Back Injuries
According to the Mayo Clinic, multiple types of conditions may lead to a back injury or regular back pain, including:
- Strains to muscles: where the muscles in the back are not as large as some other muscles in the body, meaning they can suffer from a strain when using them to lift heavy items or when making an awkward movement.
- Strains to ligaments: where the ligaments in the spine could be twisted awkwardly if you move your body suddenly, leading to weakness and pain.
- Ruptured or bulging disk: where the disks that sit between each of the vertebrae in the spinal cord could suddenly rupture or compress out of shape, leading to intense pain and a loss of freedom of movement.
- Arthritis: where an arthritic condition such as spinal stenosis can develop as a person ages, resulting in a lack of freedom of movement in the spine and constant pain.
- Osteoporosis: where a degenerative bone disease causes compression fractures to form in the spine or in other bones, leading to constant pain.
- Paralysis: where a sudden accident, such as a car crash or a fall from height, could result in damage to the nerves in the spinal cord and could lead to a loss of the ability to move the lower body or both the upper and lower body.
West New York Back Injury Lawyer Near Me (201) 890-4838
Understanding Long-Term Issues with Back Injuries
One frustrating aspect of a back injury is the possibility that it may never heal properly. You can undergo therapy to help you deal with the symptoms of the back problem, but you may never be able to return to full-time work. If you aggravate the back injury in the future, this could result in additional health problems.
A West New York back injuries lawyer can help study your medical records and interview your doctors to determine the long-term risks and problems you may face. The severity of the back injury you have suffered will play a role in the amount of damages you may be entitled to.
Call the team from Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi P.C. at (201) 585-9111 for a free review of your case. We work on a contingency fee basis, which means we only accept payment if your case reaches a satisfactory settlement.