Michael Lizzi, Esq.
Michael Lizzi, a partner at Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi P.C., has been with the firm since 1996. Mr. Lizzi practices complex and standard tort litigation in the state and federal courts of New York and New Jersey in the fields of medical and hospital negligence, nursing home negligence, wrongful death, motor vehicle collision and highway design negligence, property and building defects, and defective consumer products.
Since becoming a partner at the firm in 1999, Mr. Lizzi has employed many of the traits that today make the firm unique: thoroughness, responsiveness and a willingness to immerse himself in diverse areas, from medical specialties to legal standards derived from regulations, statutes and industry practices.
His level of commitment has paid off for the firm’s clients as well. Since beginning his tenure with the firm, Mr. Lizzi has accumulated verdicts and settlements exceeding $30 million, with more than $13 million obtained in the past 5 years alone.
“At our firm, we take each client’s case very seriously, as if it were the only case in our office. Each client represents an opportunity to represent consumers in the struggle for civil justice currently raging in our state and across the nation.”
In April 2008, Mr. Lizzi led the firm in establishing its thriving New York practice at 800 Riverside Drive in the Washington Heights section of Manhattan.
He is licensed to practice before the state and federal courts of New York and New Jersey, as well as in the federal district courts of the southern and eastern districts of New York and the district of New Jersey.
Before joining the firm in 1996, Mr. Lizzi worked as a litigation associate in the New York firm of Novick, Edelstein, Lubell, Reisman, Wasserman & Leventhal, P.C., joining that firm in 1991. He has also interned for the Honorable Marie Lambert of the New York State Surrogate Court, New York County.
Mr. Lizzi is a member of the Bergen County Bar Association and the Hudson County Bar Association. His record of professional excellence and success has earned him various distinctions, including being honored as a member of the Multi-Million Dollars Advocates Forum (MMDAF), the Association of Trial Lawyers of America, the New York State Trial Lawyers Association, and the New York Trial Lawyers Academy. Mr. Lizzi has also been honored as a New Jersey Super Lawyer for 10 consecutive years (from 2008 through 2018).
New York Law School
- Juris Doctor, Magna Cum Laude, 1991
- Graduated in top 4% of class
New York University
- Bachelor of Arts, 1988
- Licensed to practice in United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- Licensed to United States District Court for Eastern District and Southern District of New York
Awards & Recognitions
Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Established in 1993, the Million Dollar Advocates Forum (which includes the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum) is one of the most prestigious groups of trial lawyers in the United States. Membership is limited to attorneys who have won million and multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements. There are over 4000 members throughout the country. Fewer than 1% of U.S. lawyers are members.
Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
The Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum was established in 2007. There are members of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum (established 1993) who may have had multi-million dollar cases but who have not applied for membership in the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum although they may be qualified. Membership in the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum is not intended to imply that a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum may not have had multi-million dollar cases.
Best Lawyers-Best Law Firms Tier 1 U.S. News
Best of Bergen 201 Magazine
Mr. Lizzi has been honored by Best of Bergen 201 Magazine.
Mr. Lizzi has been selected as a Super Lawyer for 10 consecutive years, first earning this honor in 2008 and, most recently, earning this distinction in 2018.
Top Attorneys U.S. News and World Report
Mr. Lizzi has been honored by U.S. News & World Report.
Professional Organizations and Activities
- New Jersey Association for Justice, Member
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Bergen County Bar Association, Member
- Hudson County Bar Association, Member
- Recovered $2.4 Million Dollars for client injured in a work-related incident. The client was inspecting construction work at a public school in Brooklyn when he fell through a thinly covered air shaft, falling several feet and causing injuries and the need for multiple surgeries. Recovery was achieved despite an issue concerning the NY workers’ compensation bar.
- Recovered $700,000 for client who fell through an outdoor cellar door opening in Brooklyn where client contending she suffered a brain injury. The brain injury was in dispute in the case, and recovery against the commercial store tenant was achieved, despite the store’s argument that the opening was obvious and in plain view of store patrons and marked with caution signs.
- Journal of International and Comparative Law, Publication: Delimiting the Jurisdiction of the World Court: Reason in the Interest of Progress
Professional Lectures & Speaking Engagements
- Lecturer for the Institute for Continuing Legal Education. May 7, 2015 lecture: Ethical Practice of Law in New York for New Jersey Attorneys.