Anthony Sciuto, Esq.
Anthony J. Sciuto joined the law firm of Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi in March 2008 and is of counsel to the firm, where he will continue his practice in Alternate Dispute Resolution. He is retired as Judge of the Superior Court of New Jersey Bergen County vicinage where he served for 20 years. Following his retirement in 2001 he was of counsel to the Harwood Lloyd firm in Hackensack, New Jersey.
Mr. Sciuto for a 12 year period during his tenure as a judge managed and presided over a large number of medical malpractice and related products liability cases. He also presided over and has significant experience in general civil cases, including contracts, personal injury, property damage, discrimination, environmental, and construction as well as many other miscellaneous matters that are litigated in the civil division. Arbitration and mediation also played a substantial role in his judicial career.
Prior to his appointment as a Judge in 1981, Mr. Sciuto was engaged in the private practice of law. He served as attorney to the Garfield Board of Education from 1970-1973 and as City Attorney for the City of Garfield from 1974-1981. During his tenure as Board of Education Attorney and City Attorney he was involved in numerous mediations and arbitrations with municipal and school personnel involving hiring, termination, appointments, salary and benefit disputes, discrimination, civil rights matters, labor negotiations and public contracts.
Mr. Sciuto participated in annual lectures and seminars to young lawyers on medical negligence topics as part of the Bergen County Bar Association Educational Program. He also participated in seminars conducted by the Institute for Continuing Legal Education on medical negligence, conducted a mock trial program for residents and young doctors from the University of Medicine and Dentistry in New Jersey, participated in a medical negligence mock trial program for Residents at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons and participated in a number of moot court programs at Seton Hall University, Seton Hall School of Law and Rutgers Law School. He has been a guest lecturer at Felician College.
Seton Hall School of Law
- Juris Doctor, 1968
St. Peter’s College
- BS 1960
- Admitted to the practice of law in New Jersey and the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- Vincent P. Rigolosi, Esq. 1968-1971
- Walsh & Siegel, Esqs.1971-1972
- Anthony J, Sciuto, Esq. 1972-1974
- Walsh, Sciuto & Dimin, Esqs. 1974-1981
- Harwood Lloyd, LLC 2001 March 2008
- Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi 2008 present
- New Jersey Judiciary February 11, 1981 – February 28, 2001
- Bergen County District Court 1981 – 1986
- Superior Court, Bergen County 1986 2001
- Appointments to Governmental Boards
- Attorney Garfield, New Jersey Board of Education 1970 – 1973
- City Attorney, City of Garfield, New Jersey 1974 – 1981
Professional Organizations and Activities
Bergen County Bar Association
New Jersey State Bar Association and American Bar Association
Trustee and current president of the Hemodialysis Foundation
Bergen County Bar Association, Professionalism in the Law Committee
200 Club, Bergen County
Columbians, Bergen County
Director, Citizens Bank, Ridgewood, New Jersey
Board of Trustees, Felician College.
- Bergen County Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association and American Bar Association
- Trustee and current president of the Hemodialysis Foundation
- Bergen County Bar Association, Professionalism in the Law Committee
- 200 Club, Bergen County
- Columbians, Bergen County
- Director, Citizens Bank, Ridgewood, New Jersey
- Board of Trustees, Felician College.
Speaking, Lecturing and Writing
- Bergen County Bar Association Education Program Medical Negligence, 1989 2000
- Institute for Continuing Legal Education Seminar, Medical Negligence
- ATLA NJ Seminar Negotiations: Improving Mediation/Arbitration Skills.
- University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Mock Trial Program.
- Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons, Mock Trial Program.
- Moot Court Program, Seton Hall University, Seton Hall School of Law, Rutgers Law School
- Guest Lecturer, Felician College