Every year, as Independence Day approaches, those who sell fireworks and otherwise work in the fireworks industry must take steps to ensure safety. The workers in this industry are exposed to many hazards while manufacturing, storing, transporting, and displaying the fireworks that bring us joy every Fourth of July season. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) works to bring you information on the common hazards and solutions to these hazards, as they appear every year.
Those in Fireworks Display
A variety of trained individuals work in pyrotechnics at many parts of the year, which involve the devices to launch, detonate, or initiate explosive materials. For workers involved in outdoor fireworks display, there are some hazards that need brought to attention as well as solutions. When fireworks are improperly handled, this can lead to injuries and deaths. Here are some things to remember, to prevent injuries:
- Make sure that you are working from a secure site
- Protect fireworks and materials from inclement weather, and always keep them dry
- Prohibit smoking within 50 feet of fireworks
- Only trained personnel should be allowed at display site
- Personal protective equipment should always be worn for setup
- Always use safe handling procedures
Those in Fireworks Retail Sales
For the workers involved in retail sale of fireworks, there are also some tips to keep in mind.
- Every seller should obtain necessary state and local permits, licenses, and inspections.
- There should be no smoking within 50 feet of fireworks sales areas.
- Fireworks should not be discharged within 300 feet of sales.
- There should always be exit routes from sales.
- There should be accessible fire extinguishers.
- If there are damaged fireworks, they should be removed.
- Visual supervision of the area should be given.
- Safety training should be abided by.
When we think of the many firework accidents that happen every year, we may think of the adults and adolescents who use them for their festivities. However, a lot of injuries and deaths also stem from those in the industry itself. Call us today if you are a worker who has been injured and need our help with your claim.