Weehawken Personal Injury Attorneys
When accidents cause devastating injuries and catastrophic damage, you can empower yourself by knowing your rights and legal options. The Weehawken personal injury lawyers at Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi, P.C. are ready to explain your rights and point out your options after discussing your situation in a free, no obligations consultation.
Call (201) 585-9111 or Email Us
for Free, Confidential Answers Regarding Your Potential Claim
Weekend & Evening Appointments Are Available
A free case evaluation can be the key to understanding how to protect your rights as you move forward and how to set your claim up for the best possible resolution. We look forward to helping you as soon as you are ready to contact us. In the meantime, below, we have shared some important rights accident victims typically have – and should be aware of – when it is time to seek compensation and justice.
Personal Injury Victims’ Bill of Rights
In general, personal injury victims – including accident survivors and families who have lost loved ones to negligence – have the rights to:
- Hold negligent parties liable in civil court – Victims can file civil tort claims against the allegedly liable parties, as long as the accident occurred (or the injuries were discovered or proved fatal) within a specific timeframe set by state law (i.e., the statute of limitations). These personal injury claims can be filed independent of any criminal cases that may be pending, and they may proceed independently or as part of a class action case (when there are multiple victims/plaintiffs).
- Seek financial recovery for their losses and suffering – Victims of negligence who file claims within the statute limitations will have the legal right to pursue compensation for any and all financial losses they have incurred as a result of the incident and injuries. This can include compensation for past and future medical bills, disability, lost earnings and loss of earning capacity. It can also cover damaged or destroyed property, mental suffering and loss of consortium. The purpose of this compensation is to attempt to make victims “whole” again, to the extent possible.
- Fair dealings with insurance companies – When personal injury cases involve insurance companies, victims will have the right to have their claim handled in good faith. This means that victims have the right to a timely, unbiased investigation of their claim, as well as to accurate interpretations of the evidence and a timely decision.
- Carefully review any settlement offers – If an offer is made to settle a personal injury case, victims have the right to thoroughly review the offer before accepting or rejecting it. In other words, victims are under NO obligation to immediately make a decision on these offers, and it can be illegal to coerce or threaten them into accepting an offer.
- Competent legal representation – Victims also have the right to retain an attorney to represent them at any point during their case. If a lawyer is not properly handling the claim, victims have the right to seek other representation.
- Be informed & make decisions regarding their case – Once a victim retains a lawyer, (s)he also has the right to be kept abreast of how the case is proceeding and to make decisions regarding how their case is handled at every juncture. This effectively means that victims are legally entitled to decide matters like whether they want to see their day in court via a trial and/or whether they want to settle.
The single best way to protect and assert these rights is to retain a Weehawken personal injury lawyer at Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi, P.C.
Take the First Step towards Justice & Recovery: Contact a Weehawken Personal Injury Lawyer at Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi, P.C.
We are ready to partner with you and level the playing field as you move forward to seek the financial recovery and justice you may deserve.
Call (201) 585-9111 or email us to start getting the answers and information necessary to maximize your recovery.
Our record of success and superior legal service in personal injury cases has earned our firm numerous recognitions and accolades, as well as positive testimonials from previous clients. Let us explain how we can make a difference in your claim, recovery and future. We look forward to helping you.
Our attorneys specialize in all areas of personal injury practice, including:
- Car accidents, including rear-end collisions, hit-and-run accidents, drunk driving accidents, head-on collisions, rollover accidents, tire blowouts, uninsured motorist accidents, municipal vehicle accidents, weather-related accidents, recreational vehicle accidents, snowplow accidents, accidents caused by distracted drivers, and accidents caused by reckless drivers
- Motorcycle accidents, including failure to yield, lane splitting, speeding, driving under the influence, and accidents caused by road hazards
- Trucking accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Slip-and-fall accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Construction accidents, including welding accidents, scaffolding accidents, roofing accidents, defective safety equipment, and failure to provide safety equipment, workers compensation
- Medical malpractice, including birth injuries and distracted doctoring
- Defective products, including defective car parts, defective medical devices, unsafe drugs, other unsafe products, and improper instructions/warning labels
- Premises liability/unsafe building conditions, including slip-and-fall accidents, unsafe buildings, recreational accidents, inadequate security, food poisoning, dog bites, recreational/sports injuries, asbestos-related illness, and liquor law liability
- Swimming pool accidents
- Amusement park accidents
- Assault by security guards or bouncers, including unlawful detention and false arrest
- Elder abuse, including malnutrition and dehydration in nursing homes and bedsores
- Whistleblower claims, including pharmaceutical fraud, military fraud, and health care fraud
- Wrongful death, train accidents, subway accidents, and product liability.
These serious accidents can have a number of devastating consequences, including mental and financial repercussions. They can also result in a number of serious injuries, including brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, back injuries, amputation, fractures, whiplash, burns, scrapes and bruises, facial injuries, psychological injuries, catastrophic injuries, and injuries that result in permanent disability.
The Township of Weehawken, New Jersey lies on the west shore of the Hudson River and is home to more than 12,000 people. Sometimes referred to as NoHu, Weehawken is located in Hudson County and is the site of the Lincoln Tunnel’s west end, which essentially cuts the town in half.
Though primarily a residential community, Weehawken is known for various points of interest, including Hamilton Park, King’s Bluff, the Weehawken Public Library and the 9/11 Memorial on the Hudson River Walk.
In popular culture, Weehawken is featured in Fox’s animated series Futurama, and it was depicted in Edward Hopper’s famous painting East Wind over Weehawken.