Inevitability of Accidents in the Workplace: What To Do
In 2013 alone, you may be surprised to find that there were 4,585 deaths stemming from workplace injuries, according to data released by the National Council for Occupational Safety and Health. Many more workers who do not lose their lives on the job will still suffer debilitating injuries that keep them from working. Injuries can occur in any place of employment, which is why it is important to have standards and protocols in place to prevent as many as possible.
Tips to Accident Prevention
Accident prevention is something that all employers must consider when they are assigning work and keeping up with maintenance in the workplace. Here are some useful tips to consider while on-the-job:
- Cleanliness: Having order in the workplace can decrease the likelihood of having an on the job accident. Messiness leads to a greater chance of injury rom a tripping hazard and more. Pre-cautionary practices like cleaning up can prevent accidents in any case.
- Signage: Employers are required to post certain signs that remind employees of proper safety procedures in the workplace. They should be highly visible at all times.
- Vehicle Maintenance: If a company provides staff with company vehicles to complete their daily tasks, then these vehicles should be well-maintained. They should be serviced on a regular basis to stay up to date in safety. Accidents resulting from unperformed vehicle maintenance in the workplace can cost up to $2 billion per year, so it is imperative!
- Reporting: Employees know that they should always report workplace accidents. Employers should also let their workers know that, if they run into any dangers, it is safe to report and they should always do so.
- Providing Equipment: Equipment in the workplace can consist of safety harnesses to gloves and goggles. Employees should never perform hazardous tasks without proper equipment.
- Avoiding Shortcuts: When employees and employers alike are in a hurry, they may take shortcuts – which can lead to disasters. This could mean all the difference in the case of an accident and how serious it will be.
If you have been injured in a workplace accident, the first thing that you should do is report it and seek medical attention. It is important to call us as soon as possible so we can get started on your case immediately if you have suffered injuries in the workplace. Call now.