Serious injuries can tear a person’s life apart. While these injuries can cause profound physical impairments and debilitating emotional impacts, they can also be financially devastating, heaping costly medical bills on the injured while preventing them from earning a living.
At Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi, P.C., our lawyers understand how damaging severe personal injuries can be and how critical it is for the injured to get compensation and justice when their injuries have resulted from another’s negligence. That is why we are relentlessly devoted to helping the injured:
- Build the strongest possible claims
- Hold all negligent parties liable
- Secure compensation for their medical bills, suffering and losses.
If you or a loved one has been hurt by someone else’s negligence, you are invited to learn more about your options for financial recovery and justice in a free, no obligations consultation.
Have You or a Loved One Suffered a Personal Injury? Call (201) 585-9111 or Email Us
for Free, Confidential Answers Regarding Your Potential Claim.
Contacting us can provide you with the information you need to protect your rights and set your claim up for success.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I Need to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
There is no legal requirement to have an attorney handle your personal injury case. You can represent yourself and try to resolve the claim on your own. However, the success of your case may depend on hiring a personal injury lawyer near Hackensack, NJ.
Why Do You Need to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
Generally, you can expect a number of advantages when you hire a personal injury attorney in Hackensack, NJ. At Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi, we review your case closely to determine the full extent of your legal options. Our personal injury lawyers also assess all of the ways the accident has impacted your life and calculate the damages you are due.
Major reasons to enlist a personal injury lawyer to handle your case include:
- Protecting your rights: Defendants and insurance companies do not have your best interests in mind. A personal injury attorney in Hackensack, NJ, can ensure that the opposing parties do not take advantage of you.
- Collecting all available evidence: Prompt and thorough investigation is key for the success of your personal injury claim. Our attorneys visit the scene of the accident, take photographs, review all documentary evidence, consult with your doctors, and take additional steps to prepare a strong case on your behalf.
- Filing your claim on time: The statute of limitations for personal injury claims in New Jersey is 2 years. Claimants who try to go it alone might miss this crucial deadline, but a knowledgeable injury lawyer will ensure that your case is filed on time.
- Skilled negotiations: Insurance adjusters want to pay you as little as possible for your injuries. This could result in a settlement that doesn’t adequately cover your losses. Our personal injury attorneys, meanwhile, will negotiate a settlement that compensates you fairly for current and future damages.
- Going to trial: Lawyers at Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi often handle cases in the courtroom. Not all personal injury attorneys in Hackensack, NJ, have trial experience, but our firm thrives on the challenge of representing our clients in court and obtaining favorable judgments.
Read More: Why Is Having a Personal Injury Lawyer Important?
What Are Some Tips to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
If you are looking for a Hackensack personal injury lawyer, here are some tips for finding the best attorney to take on your case:
- Look for local firms: The attorney you choose should have an office in or near Hackensack and be extremely familiar with the local courts.
- Check the practice areas: Some lawyers and law firms handle many types of legal matters, while others focus on a few case types. You should choose an attorney who has a proven track record handling cases like yours.
- Read reviews: Testimonials from clients should help you understand what it’s like to work with the firm.
- Evaluate the firm’s verdicts and settlements: Past results don’t guarantee a similar outcome. However, a substantial number of verdicts and settlements shows that the firm is well-versed in representing personal injury victims and obtaining compensation on their behalf.
- Schedule a free consultation: Each Hackensack personal injury lawyer should offer to meet with you for free. The initial consultation is your opportunity to get to know the attorney(s) and staff and determine whether the firm is a good fit.
Find out how Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi can help. Contact us FREE today!
What Should I Expect from My Personal Injury Lawyer?
Any personal injury attorney in Hackensack should recognize that you and your family have been through a traumatic experience. Whether talking on the phone or meeting with a lawyer in person, you should expect courtesy and compassion. The lawyers you consult should also be knowledgeable and ask you intelligent questions about your situation. Ultimately, the attorney is interviewing you as much as you are interviewing the attorney; both of you want to see if the other is a good fit.
Why hire Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi?
Once you retain a personal injury attorney in Hackensack, your lawyer will then investigate the accident and determine your legal rights and options. As your case moves forward, an injury lawyer should advocate for your rights and interests, return your calls and emails promptly, and provide you with regular updates on the progress of your case.
What If You Can't Afford a Lawyer for a Personal Injury Case?
At Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi, we believe that justice should be accessible for everyone. Significant financial resources shouldn’t be a requirement for quality legal counsel. That is why our firm offers all potential clients a FREE consultation.
We recognize that the victims of personal injury face a variety of financial challenges while their case is being resolved. As such, when you hire a Hackensack injury lawyer at our firm, you pay nothing upfront and you only pay a fee if we are successful.
How Long Does It Take to Settle a Personal Injury Case in NJ?
The time it takes to settle a personal injury claim depends on a number of different factors. Some cases are relatively straightforward, requiring 3–6 months to settle, while others can take several years.
Ultimately, your case will likely be resolved by settlement; most personal injury matters do not end up going to trial. That said, it may be necessary to file a lawsuit if negotiations do not progress or the end of the statute of limitations is drawing near. A personal injury lawyer near Hackensack, NJ, can discuss whether it is necessary to proceed with a lawsuit. If it is, our attorneys will handle all of the paperwork on your behalf.
Will I Get More Settlement Money with a Personal Injury Lawyer?
As a rule, having a personal injury attorney in Hackensack handle your case will generally result in a higher settlement. The primary reason for this is that experienced injury lawyers (a) know a low settlement offer when they see it and (b) have a comprehensive knowledge of the compensable damages available in a personal injury claim.
The personal injury attorneys at Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi are expert negotiators. We know how to prepare a strong case and push back when insurers try to offer less than you deserve. Our attorneys have won multiple awards and honors for the results we achieve for clients via settlement negotiations and at trial.
Can You Sue for Pain and Suffering in NJ?
Pain and suffering damages refer to the non-economic losses sustained as a result of a personal injury. You may be entitled to pain and suffering if your injuries cause you physical pain, emotional anguish, and other issues.
A Hackensack injury lawyer can determine your right to recovery of pain and suffering damages. In some cases these damages may not be available. (Example: drivers in New Jersey who select basic PIP auto insurance or the limited right to sue are generally barred from pursuing compensation for pain and suffering.) However, pain and suffering and other non-economic damages can be pursued in most personal injury claims.
Read More: What Does No-Fault Car Insurance Cover in New Jersey?
Can You Sue in NJ for a Car Accident?
It depends. New Jersey is a no-fault state. The right to sue after a car accident depends on your insurance coverage.
The Standard Auto Insurance Policy lets drivers choose between an unlimited right to sue or a limited to sue. If you choose the unlimited right to sue, you have the right to bring a claim for full damages against any driver who causes an accident. But, if you opt for the limited right to sue, you must suffer a permanent injury as defined by New Jersey law to make a claim for non-economic damages. (NOTE: The limited right to sue is automatic with the Basic Auto Insurance Policy.)
A New Jersey car accident lawyer can examine your insurance policy and review your medical records to determine what rights you have following a crash. Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi has extensive experience going up against insurance companies. We can negotiate a fair settlement on your behalf or—if necessary—file a lawsuit and take your case to trial if it means getting you the compensation you deserve.
Car accidents are a leading cause of death in the U.S.1 More than 90 percent of all car crashes that occur in the U.S. each year are caused by human error.2 This human error can come in many forms, like (but not limited to):
- Driver errors, like distracted driving, drunk driving and reckless driving
- Manufacturer negligence, such as vehicle design flaws or defective automotive equipment
- Other negligence, like failures to maintain safe roadways.
When any form of negligence contributes to a car crash, victims (including families who lost a loved one to a deadly wreck) will likely have legal options for holding the negligent parties accountable.
Truck crashes are among the deadliest traffic wrecks. While the careless or reckless actions of truck drivers can cause these accidents, so too can the negligence of other motorists, trucking companies and other parties.
At Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi, P.C., we have extensive experience advocating truck accident victims’ rights in various types of cases, including (but not limited to) claims involving:
- Impaired truck drivers, like fatigued, drunk or distracted truckers
- Rollover accidents
- Jackknife accidents
- Underride truck accidents
- Municipal truck accidents.
Motorcyclists are among the most vulnerable travelers on the roads. In fact, whenever traffic crashes involve a motorcycle rider, the rider is nearly 30 times more likely than people in passenger vehicles to be killed.3
Tragically, most motorcycle accidents could be prevented if some party had been more attentive, sober and/or careful. Whenever negligence plays a role in causing a motorcycle accident, we can help victims fight for justice and recovery.
Day to day, the places where you work, shop and go may not be as safe as they seem. This is particularly true when properties are not properly maintained and/or when risky areas of properties are not properly abated.
When accidents at others’ properties cause injuries and harm, injured people can turn to the trusted attorneys at Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi, P.C. for answers about their legal options – and for extraordinary advocacy as they proceed with a case.
Our attorneys are experienced at representing injured people in all types of premises liability cases, and we know how to hold all negligent parties accountable for the harm they have caused our clients.
Nursing Home Abuse
About 10 percent of nursing home residents will be the target of some form abuse while staying in these facilities.4 While nursing home abuse can involve physical assaults and violence, it can also include emotional and financial abuse.
Regardless of whether this abuse comes at the hands of nursing home staff or others, the perpetrators – and possibly the nursing home facility – can be liable for the harm they have caused.
In the aftermath of a workplace accident or an occupational illness diagnosis, injured workers may be able to pursue:
- A workers’ compensation claim – Although workers will not have to prove fault as part of these claims, they will have to follow specific rules, meet certain deadlines and possibly even see specific doctors (chosen by the employer or its insurance company).
- A personal injury claim – This can be an option when the negligence of someone other than the employer, a co-worker or the injured worker contributed to the work injuries. These other parties can include equipment manufacturers, building owners, contractors and others.
At Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi, P.C., our lawyers can help injured workers and their families build and successfully resolve both workers compensation and related personal injury claims.
As some of the most vulnerable travelers on the roadways, pedestrians are often seriously – if not fatally – injured when traffic accidents happen. Also tragic are the facts that:
- Deadly pedestrian accidents in the U.S. have been on the rise since 2016, jumping up about 9 percent5 – Some experts believe distracted driving, coupled with low gas prices putting more drivers on the road, have contributed to this recent surge in pedestrian accidents.
- Preventable motorist negligence is often to blame when serious pedestrian accidents occur – Along with distracted driving, driving while impaired and failing to comply with traffic laws are common examples of motorist negligence that often plays a role in causing pedestrian accidents.
When pedestrians are hurt in any type of traffic collision, the attorneys at Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi, P.C. can help them hold the negligent parties accountable and fight for the compensation they deserve.
Losing a loved one is always difficult. When the loss could have been prevented if someone had been more careful, responsible or diligent, however, the impacts can be even more devastating, if not maddening.
At Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi, P.C., we are dedicated to helping families seek justice and financial recovery when any type of negligence has taken the life of their loved one(s). Though we are realize that compensation can never bring back a loved one, we also know that this compensation can be indispensable to helping families pick up the pieces and start rebuilding their lives.
That is why our attorneys handle various types of wrongful death cases, including (but not limited to) those involving:
- Traffic accidents
- Dangerous, faulty and toxic products
- Work accidents.
Protect Your Rights, Claim & Recovery: Contact a Hackensack Personal Injury Lawyer at Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi, P.C.
Call (201) 585-9111 or email our firm to get essential legal advice from an experienced Hackensack personal injury lawyer at Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi, P.C. We are ready to collaborate with you in the pursuit of financial recovery and justice.
Courageous, compassionate and skilled, our attorneys are dedicated to leveling the playing field, effectively advocating our clients’ rights and helping them obtain the compensation they deserve.
Our long-standing record of success and superior legal service has earned us numerous recognitions and professional honors, as well as exceptional testimonials from former clients. Let us explain how we can make a difference in your claim, recovery and future. We look forward to hearing from you and helping you recover.
Located in Bergen County, New Jersey, Hackensack is a unique, diverse city that is home to about 45,000 people. Hackensack has a long history, dating back to the 1600s. While the city was originally called New Barbadoes Township, it took on its informal name, Hackensack during the 1920s.
Hackensack is home to a world-renowned medical center, as well as nationally recognized academic institutions. It is also home to museums, art centers and the second oldest church in New Jersey, the First Dutch Reformed Church (or Church on the Green), which was built in 1696.
Some of Hackensack’s claims to fame in popular culture include mentions in major motion pictures like Rear Window, Bride of Chuck and Zoolander.
The comprehensive personal injury practice at Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi, P.C. covers all types of tort cases, including (but not exclusive to) those related to premises liability accidents, construction accidents, nursing home abuse, wrongful death, train accidents, workers compensation and subway accidents.
1: According to the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC)
2: According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
3: According to data from the NHTSA
4: According to data from the National Center on Elder Abuse (NCEA)
5: According to the latest data from the NHTSA