Motorcycles are the single most dangerous way to travel the roads. In fact, the latest data1 reveals that, when compared to people in passenger vehicles, motorcyclists are about 27 times more likely to be killed – and about 6 times more likely to be injured – when they are involved in accidents.
Given that it may only take one motorcycle wreck to cause devastating, if not irreversible, injuries, it’s important for riders to know that, after that a crash:
- They may have various legal options for holding the at-fault party accountable and seeking compensation for their crash-related losses.
- They can rely on the experienced Hackensack motorcycle accident lawyers at Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi, P.C. for clear answers about their rights and options, as well as extraordinary advocacy moving forward.
Contacting us for crucial insights regarding your legal options puts you under no obligation to retain us. It can, however, help you take the right steps to protect your rights and potential claim as you proceed.
While we urge you to reach out to us whenever you need answers specific to your situation, the following presents some generally helpful information regarding motorcycle accident claims and recoveries.
What Should I Do after a Motorcycle Accident?
Seeking immediate medical attention should usually be the top priority immediately following a motorcycle crash – especially if anyone has sustained catastrophic or potentially life-threatening injuries.
If rider(s) are not too severely injured and they have the capacity to stay at the scene for a bit, then it’s also advised that they take as many of the following steps as possible:
- Move out of the path of traffic, to a safe area, and call 911 (or a non-emergency number if the crash is minor). Don’t leave the scene until police arrive and give you the OK to leave.
- Swap driving and insurance information with the other involved motorists or parties.
- Take pictures of the damaged motorcycle(s), vehicle(s) and/or surrounding features. Try to also get photos of any visible injuries, the greater accident scene (as a whole), the road conditions, the weather conditions, crash debris, etc.
- Collect witnesses’ names and contact information.
- Report the crash, without admitting fault or liability, to your insurance provider.
- Contact Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi, P.C. for a free case evaluation.
Taking these steps can be important to gathering evidence of liability and setting up a future motorcycle crash claim for success.
NOTE: If an injured rider is immediately rushed to an emergency room and cannot perform any of the above steps following the wreck, an attorney at Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi, P.C. can conduct additional investigations to gather any and all evidence essential to a future claim.
I wanted to make sure that you were aware of my extreme gratitude to Chris DiGirolamo, and his law firm, for the work done on my behalf.
As a 33 year licensed motorcyclist in the state of NJ, I have seen a lot of friends/family go through the process of a personal injury suit, and many times the outcome is less than favorable. Let’s face it, there is a lot of bias against bikers out there… So when it was my turn to experience the process first hand, I didn’t hold a lot of hope that I would recover any of what I lost.
Chris DiGirolamo not only got me enough of a settlement to recover what was lost, he got the max available, allowing me to have a little piece of mind for the future as well.
He was patient when I sent endless emails full of questions and kind and understanding with regard to my case. I will ALWAYS refer my friends to this firm, and use them again myself, if the situation ever arises…
Thank you again for all your hard work!
Who Is At Fault for My Motorcycle Accident?
Fault for your motorcycle wreck can be determined by reviewing the evidence associated with your crash, like (but not limited to) the police report, witness statements and accident photos. Such evidence can uncover whether parties like (but not limited) the following may be at fault for your crash:
- Other motorists, riders or roadway travelers
- Motor carriers
- Manufacturers of motorcycle or auto equipment
- Cities, counties or other parties who are responsible for building and maintaining safe roads, traffic signs and signals, etc.
A Hackensack attorney at Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi, P.C. can analyze the evidence and facts of your wreck and help you determine all of the parties that are liable for it.
Am I Entitled to Compensation for My Motorcycle Wreck?
This depends on who is primarily at fault for the accident. In general, you may be eligible for financial recovery for your motorcycle crash IF a party other than yourself was primarily at fault for the wreck.
Effectively, this means that, for you to be entitled to compensation for a motorcycle accident (under New Jersey law2):
- Another party must have been at least 51 percent at fault for the crash.
- Even if you may have been partly to blame for the crash, you can still be eligible for compensation if your degree of fault is 50 percent or less.
When injured riders may have been partly at fault, any recoveries they are eligible to receive will be reduced in proportion to their degree of fault. So, for instance, if a rider’s claim is worth $50,000 and that rider is found to be 25 percent at fault, the resulting compensation would be $37,500 (i.e., $50,000 reduced 25% or minus $12,500).
How Soon Do I Have to File a Motorcycle Wreck Claim?
New Jersey law provides two years from the date of a crash – OR from the date on which the accident-related injuries are discovered (or result in death) – to file a claim for compensation. Missing this two-year statute of limitations can limit or eliminate victims’ options for recovery.
A Hackensack Motorcycle Accident Lawyer at Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi, P.C. Can Help You: Contact Us
If you or a loved one has been hurt in a motorcycle wreck, contact an experienced Hackensack motorcycle accident lawyer at Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi, P.C. by calling (201) 585-9111 or emailing us. We are ready to collaborate with you in the pursuit of justice and compensation.
Relentlessly devoted to helping accident victims, our attorneys have the courage, skills and resources to effectively advocate your rights, level the playing field and help you obtain the compensation you likely deserve.
Year after year, our accident and injury attorneys have been recognized as the best in our field for our record of success and superior legal service. Let us explain how we can make a difference in your claim, recovery and future. We look forward to helping you recover from a motorcycle accident.