Receiving Pain and Suffering Damages from Minor Injuries

Yesterday, in May 2017, an accident left a state trooper injured involving his patrol vehicle and another car. The patrol vehicle was struck on the driver’s side, though investigators still are not sure what caused the other vehicle to crash into him. He was taken to a medical center in New Jersey with minor injuries. When you are injured in an accident and sustain minor injuries, this typically means that your injuries are not extremely severe, requiring long-term care. But can you be awarded pain and suffering for these accidents?

Understanding How Pain and Suffering Comes Into Play

When you are involved in an accident that leaves you with minor injuries, you may seek out-of-pocket expenses, such as medical bills, which are extremely easy to prove when you have evidence of your care. However, things like pain and suffering may be more difficult to show. Pain and suffering is the physical or emotional stress that you may suffer after you have sustained injuries in an accident. For instance, if you were left permanently disfigured in an accident, you may qualify for pain and suffering because of the emotional toll it takes on you.

New Jersey is a no-fault insurance state. In New Jersey, this means that you cannot make a personal injury claim unless your medical bills are over a certain amount. This means that you must meet the guidelines of a “serious injury” to sue for pain and suffering. To make informed judgment on this matter, insurance companies will look at the severity and permanency of your injuries. For instance, if you broke a rib, you may be more likely to gain pain and suffering than if you bruised your hand.

No matter what instance, no matter what the state, if you believe that you qualify for pain and suffering based on the severity of your injuries, you may have a case. You should speak to a professional personal injury attorney about what options you have. These cases can sometimes be frustrating and difficult, but it doesn’t have to be. Call us today for more.