When you have been injured in a trucking accident, you may have many questions such as: Will I be able to get damages for my injuries? What will I have to go through in my lawsuit? Is settlement the better option? For anybody involved in a personal injury case, these are very viable questions you may be concerned about, as sometimes one option is better than another depending on your circumstances. There are pros and cons to choosing settlement or a lawsuit.
Pros and Cons
- You may have heard that you can retrieve a higher dollar amount when you take your case to court. It may actually give you a better chance of recouping all of your out of pocket costs.
- The court may decide to offer you less than the initial settlement amount, and then you will be stuck with it unless you appeal.
- If your case is not very strong, settlement could benefit you.
- In court you may be able to win an award for pain and suffering as well as punitive damages.
- If you go to court, you will find that it is expensive and you may spend a portion of your reward on court costs.
For a free legal consultation, call (201) 585-9111
The Truth About Settlements
Now that you understand some of the pros and cons about each, you may have more questions about settlement in a truck accident case. You should know that, at any time in the personal injury process, you can attempt to resolve your dispute through settlement if you are not taking the case to court yet. Many settlements will use techniques like arbitration, mediation, or negotiation. Negotiation and mediation are non-binding methods, while arbitration is a binding process that works just like court. If you do not have many funds or a lot of time to spend on the court process, settlement may look like the most attractive option. However, you should also never sell yourself short just because the process is easier. You may lose out on money that you find necessary for your medical bills and more.
You may find that, even though the settlement process in a trucking accident is preferable over expensive litigation, the process can still be complex. This is why it is important to speak to an attorney who has experience in these cases. At Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi, we specialize in your truck accident injury case and will stand by your side as you attempt to recover for things like medical bills and pain and suffering. Call us if you have an injury case.