Car Accident Attorneys Serving New Jersey
Hoboken is a prime commuter hub for those who work in New York City and is home to a bustling community of people who live and work in the area. This confluence of people frequently on the go can make for busy roads, and busy roads are inevitably going to have their fair share of accidents. Some accidents are avoidable, however, and if your accident was caused by avoidable negligence, then you may be entitled to compensation for your losses.
If you or a loved one sustained injuries in a car accident, including any injuries that proved fatal, a Hoboken car accident lawyer might be able to help you pursue a case for compensation.
Hoboken Has Its Fair Share of Car Accidents
In February 2020, six people were hospitalized because of an accident at the intersection of Clinton Street and 3rd Street in Hoboken. Among the victims of the accident were children and their mothers, who were pedestrians and had no part in causing the accident yet found themselves directly in harm’s way.
Many of the collisions that occur on the streets of Hoboken impact those who did nothing to cause danger to others or be put in danger, but become victims, nonetheless. The New Jersey Department of Transportation reported that there were 19,627 vehicle accidents in Hudson County in 2018, a number that is representative of the typical crash totals in the county each year.
If you or a loved one was the victim of an accident in Hoboken or greater Hudson County, then you may have been the victim of negligence and could be entitled to compensation as a result.
The Office of Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi have been so helpful in my case that I just wanted to stress to anyone needing an attorney who has been in an accident that this office is the best. From the beginning of my case I was treated as number one. Mr. Maggiano and staff always kept me informed of the entire process of my case. I even had a driver, Juan, from their office, take me to my medical appointments because I no longer have an automobile. It just made me feel so much more relaxed. This is a law firm makes you feel right at home as soon as you come in. There were many times that I had questions and I would speak to Mariel, Mr. Maggianos’s paralegal and she would always be there to help
It was a pleasure having Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi take on my case. After a car accident left me jobless for several months, they helped get me back on my feet. They went above and beyond the call of duty!
Nothing but praise for Maggiano, DiGirolamo, and Lizzi. I have never seen such a fantastic display of teamwork at all levels of the firm. (As an aisde, everyone one who works at the firm was extremely courteous and kind – character traits that one would not typically associate with a law firm. )
Furthermore, the legal results brought about by Mr. Maggiano’s tireless litigation efforts on our behalf were very fair and just. If you ever find yourself in a car accident, be sure to consult Maggiano, DiGirolamo, and Lizzi.
More Opportunities for Negligent Driving
While Hoboken may not be considered a big city when compared with its neighbor across the Hudson River, it has its fair share of big-city qualities. Driving in an urban area presents a greater number of difficulties and distractions, which may include:
- Increased traffic density.
- More start-and-stop traffic, which could increase the chances of a rear-end accident.
- More pedestrians crossing streets or walking adjacent to the roadways.
- A larger number of businesses near the street, which may also increase the amount of foot traffic on or near roadways.
- A prevalence of potentially attention-catching signs and sights.
- Confusing roadways.
- A greater number of aggressive drivers.
Those who live, work, and travel through Hoboken implicitly accept these realities when they get behind the wheel of a vehicle. Though these potential distractions and driving safety hazards can make city driving more dangerous and difficult, they are not an excuse to act negligently. A Hoboken car accident lawyer can help you hold negligent drivers responsible if one caused your injuries or property damage.
Common Forms of Motorist Negligence
Urban driving aside, the causes of accidents in Hoboken are often similar to the most common causes of motor vehicle collisions throughout the United States and the world. Many driving behaviors are simply unsafe, and some of those driving behaviors include:
- Driving at excessive speeds.
- Running red lights or making other maneuvers that violate road signs.
- Failing to drive extra-cautiously around pedestrians, construction zones, and other areas that create a heightened risk of collision and injury.
- Driving at dusk or night without adequate headlights.
- Merging or turning without signaling.
- Turning into oncoming traffic without the necessary clearance.
- Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Engaging in distracted driving, which the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration identifies as an increasingly common and deadly motorist behavior.
- Failing to yield to pedestrians who are crossing the road.
- Failing to yield to bicyclists who are crossing a road or are in the bicycle lane at the point of contact.
Any one of these behaviors could qualify as negligence if they caused or contributed to your accident and resulting injuries. The presence of more than one of these negligent behaviors could strengthen your case for awards even more.
Civil Courts Are One Means of Pursuing Justice
If you were injured in a car accident, you may be coping with:
- The loss of certain physical capabilities.
- Diminished mental health because of the various stresses that can arise from a car accident, especially one in which you are seriously injured.
- Diminished or completely lost income resulting from your injuries.
- Mounting expenses related to your injuries and inability to earn an income as you typically would.
- Feelings of hopelessness, anxiety, or depression.
You may have reason for hope, and it could come in the form of a lawsuit filed in the appropriate civil court. Call our team at Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi P.C. today at (201) 585-9111 to discuss at no cost your options for pursuing any compensation that you are entitled to receive.
Verdicts and Settlements
$4,425,000 - Motor Vehicle Accident
For a young boy left with traumatic brain injuries, including left arm and left leg partial paralysis, after a drunk driver struck the minivan in which he was a passenger. This verdict was listed as one of New Jersey’s Top 20 Personal Injury Awards in 2020.
$750,000 - Motor Vehicle Crash
To a self-employed bagel store owner who suffered an aggravation of low back injury requiring surgery, urinary incontinence and post traumatic stress disorder.
$2,500,000 - Motor Vehicle Crash
For a 23-year old waitress who was when riding as a back seat passenger of a drunken driver. She suffered injuries when her host driver crashed into the rear of a stopped tractor trailer parked on an approach ramp to a bridge due to a flat tire.
How a Lawyer May Be Able to Help
A Hoboken car accident lawyer may be able to assist you in several ways as you focus on recovering from your injuries and other losses you sustained because of your motor vehicle accident. Some of your lawyer’s duties may include:
- Collecting the facts of your case, including evidence of your accident and specifically any negligence that may have caused the accident.
- Formulating a case that explains why you were the victim of negligence and are entitled to compensation as a result.
- Negotiating any settlements that the defendant offers.
- Documenting your losses, including the cost of your injuries, to calculate the awards that you are entitled to collect.
- Handling all the legal responsibilities required to complete your lawsuit.
If your lawsuit results in a judgment or settlement in your favor, you may be covered for:
- Medical costs
- Lost income
- Long-term diminished earning power
- Pain and suffering
- Any additional awards that you are granted by a jury or in a settlement
Call Our Team at Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi P.C. Today
Negligence is cause for legal action, especially if compensation from insurance will not cover your losses. Call the car accident lawyers at Maggiano, DiGirolamo & Lizzi P.C. today at (201) 585-9111 for a free consultation.